Claire Watkins graduated with a DipRAM from the Royal Academy Opera studying with Beatrice Unsworth and Audrey Hyland. Formerly Head Chorister of St. Davids Cathedral Choir, Pembrokeshire, Claire also has a BMus (Hons), Cardiff University, and PGDip (Distinction) RWCMD. She participated in the Georg Solti Accademia di Bel Canto 2007 in Tuscany and is a 2009 Samling Scholar.
Operatic roles performed include:
- First Lady The Magic Flute and Gilda Rigoletto for Scottish Opera
- Leïla The Pearl Fishers for English National Opera
- Micäela Carmen for Scottish Opera
- Amelia Simon Boccanegra in Valladolid
- Constance The Sorcerer Opera della Luna
- Donna Anna, Lauretta, Venus Dardanus, Almirena Rinaldo, Arminda La finta giardiniera, Manon Manon Lescaut and Yvette La Rondine for RAO; the title role in The Cunning Little Vixen (RWCMD).
Other recent engagements include several cover roles:
- Adina The Elixir of Love for ENO, the title role in Manon and Giannetta in L’elisir d’amore both for Scottish Opera
- Bronwyn Jones in Carbon 12 for Welsh National Opera
- Gretchen The Poacher and Alison The Wandering Scholar.
She has recently performed at Snape Maltings as a soloist for Aldeburgh Music’s Big Britten Shout and more recently returned to ENO to cover the role of Violetta La Traviata.
Claire is in demand throughout the UK and Europe as a soloist on the concert platform with future performances including Verdi Requeim, Mendelssohn Elijah, Handel Messiah, Mozart Requiem, and Orff Carmina Burana and is delighted to be performing this evening once again with the Watford Philharmonic Society.