Baritone Robert Gildon studied at Manhattan School of Music in New York for three years. Whilst in America he sang the lead role in John Casken’s Golem conducted by Diego Masson and Amantio in Gianni Schicchi under Julius Rudel, both at the Aspen Music Festival. He was also a student at the Tanglewood Music Center (twice), performing in Gianni Schicchi under Robert Spano. Robert has also worked with Andreas Scholl at the Britten/Pears School in Aldeburgh.
Robert’s opera engagements include:
- Aeneas in Dido and Aeneas at the Bruges Early Music Festival
- Dick in Luke Styles’ Unborn in America at the Vaults Festival
- Frank in Die Fledermaus at St John’s Smith Square
- Lord Cecil in The Cumnor Affair for the Tête à Tête Opera
- Wigmaster in Ariadne auf Naxos
- Starvelling in A Midsummer Night’s Dream for Garsington Opera
- Compere in The Answer to Everything for Streetwise Opera
- Head Fox in children’s opera Outfoxed at the Royal Festival Hall
- Captain Corcoran in HMS Pinafore for D’Oyly Carte at the Savoy
- Atalanta, Agrippina, Imeneo and Tamerlano for Cambridge Handel Opera
- Papageno, Schaunard, Masetto and Mr Lindquist in Sondheim’s A Little Night Music for Opera Project
- Journalist in Jonathan Dove’s TV opera Man on the Moon (Channel 4)
- Dave Brubeck’s cantata La fiesta e la posada with the LSO at the Barbican
Robert has also performed roles for Opera North, the Opera Group, Grange Park Opera, Bampton Classical Opera and Pimlico Opera’s Prison Project.
Concert engagements include Brahms’ Requiem in Peterborough Cathedral, Bach’s St Matthew Passion and Handel’s Solomon in St Albans Abbey.